Tuesday, September 23, 2008

That's not what I expected to happen

I made German pancakes this morning. Not my favorite, but could it be much easier? I put the butter in the baking dish and into the pre-heating oven to melt the butter. As usual. Problem was, the mix wasn't even ready and I got distracted. I started to smell something burning. Oh great, the butter... So I take out the dish with the scalding butter and dump it into the sink. "I don't want that burned taste on my panckes!" I think. So I turned on HOT WATER mind you to rinse it off. All while holding the dish in the hot pad. I hold the dish under the running water to quickly rinse it out. BOOOOOOOM! The 8X8 Pyrex dish litrally burst into TONS of big and tiny pieces alike inside my sink. WHAT THE CRAP?! It was such a shock I just stood there staring at it! Hmmmm. How on earth am I going to clean this up? So of course, I call my trusty source. Michelle Webb! I love Michelle. She just seems to have the answers to everything. "Uh, I have a random question! How do I clean up a sink full of shattered glass?!" So of course in her wisdom she says, 'Why don't you use the shop vac?' BRILLIANT! Why can I never think of the solution myself? Anyways, it worked WONDERS and I was able to place the hose down INTO the disposal to get all the pieces I would never be able to see or get to! I'm sooooo lucky that it shattered while in the sink and not all over me or the floor. The mess was very much contained. But WOW! Kinda crazy.

6 comments:

Shanna said...

Holy crap!! You're lucky that you didn't get cut - did it freak out Cameron or Alexis?
I hate cleaning up glass. Be careful for the next few days because glass has a way of sticking around on the floor for days even when you think you got it all...

Nisha said...

Oh man! What a zoo!

Rob and Tiff said...

Yikes! I'm glad you were able to get it all cleaned up without any casualties, besides the dish that is.

Amy said...

Holy cow!!! I'm sorry...glad there were no casualties!

Fleck Family said...

I had something VERY similar happen with a Pyrex lid. I put it in the sink to rinse it off and the water coming out even though I turned it on hot wasn't as hot as the lid that just came out of a 350 oven and it shattered. Scared the heck out of me and I screamed. I didn't get cut either because I was holding it with a hot pad but I just totally did not expect it. I am thinking now that it must have been that it cooled to fast and the pyrex couldn't handle the quick temp change.
That is a great idea to use a shop vac. Funny how things like that only happen when husbands are out of town huh?
I am glad you got it all and no one got cut! Bummer about the broken 8x8 though :(

Kyla said...

I'm just glad you didn't get hurt!
But seriously, who wants to eat gross butter? I mean butter is AMAZING, and how can anyone possibly want to eat it burned? Burned butter would ruin your whole day! ....and apparently your pyrex pans. ...What a dangerous substance...........